Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Book Review Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

Shanghai Girls: A NovelPearl and May chin live the enchanted life any girl in 1937 Shanghai would envy. Their Father
owns a rickshaw business and is considered wealthy in his community.They have a cook, servants  and someone
to tend to the garden.  Even their Mother lives the life of leisure having lunch with friends, playing Mah Jonng.  The girls theselves make money modeling for artists who specialize in Beautiful girls calendars,posters,etcc....
Life is peaceful until  the day they find out about their Father's gambling debt.He has sold them as wives to cover
the money he owes  to the Green Gang.  Shortly after this life altering news, the Japanese have begun invading China.Will they survive the next few days?   Can you find love in an arranged marriage?   Will they adapt to life
in  America?  I found Lisa See's writing to be very meticulous,vivid and infused with imagery.I am not familiar
with her previous work but it definitely  made want to check it out.  Overall I gave this book 5 out of
5 stars. I feel that I got my money's worth.

New Location

If you have made it here then I want to direct you to my newer improved blog over on wordpress ( New blog .) I just want to thank you guys f...