Friday, September 3, 2010

Alibi by Terri Woods

Alibi I am very frustrated and disappointed with this novel.  I am frustrated because the premise of this story has alot of potential.
The story takes place in the 198o's when this thug ,called Nard, decides he wants to rob big time
drug dealer Simon Shuller in Philadelphia.  Things go horribly wrong ,as they are prone to do when
you decide to make your money illegally. What is supposed to be a simple robbery morphs into homicide.
enter Daisy Fogglethorp, who is a stripper that is willing to provide the alibi Nard need for the right price.
Even though we begin this story with the robbery , We actually spent way to much time with Daisy's character.   There was absolutely no background  for Nard or the logic behind trying to pull off this robbery
in the first place.  Although we spent an inordinate amount of time on the seedy aspects of Daisy's job.  The
only person that got any background info was Daisy's mother who wasn't even in the story long enough to
justify doing that.  I didn't get much of anything from Daisy's childhood.  She literally was a baby then a couple of pages later she's an adult!Two things you have to have ,in order for me to want to read about a fictional
character is :
a) some qualities that make him or her relatable
b)give me some insight as to what makes them do what they do.
I didn't get that here.  I felt like the author was relying heavily on "shock" value instead of  good imagery,sound plot development etcc... . I can only give this book 1 star out of 5 stars which means if you
see this book at the library don't check it out!
Ftc disclosure:  I would like to thank the Hatchett Book group for allowing me  the opportunity to review
this book.  I do not recieve money in exchange for the book review.

New Location

If you have made it here then I want to direct you to my newer improved blog over on wordpress ( New blog .) I just want to thank you guys f...