Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw

Marcella Atkinson is the beautiful prisoner of her sorrows  her affair with
Cecil McClatchey ended her stable ,but slightly tortured marriage with Anthony
Atkinson.  Cecil McClatchey becomes the suspect of his wife's murder
and dies before he could clear his name. But his son,Jed, wonders if he
really could've cleared it.  Did his Father kill his own Mother?  This story
begins seven years later when Jed stumbles on a women's piece of clothing
that he didn't remember belonging to his Mom.
I got to say up front I am always impressed with authors who can use imagery very
well and she is definitely one of them.  As far as the plot,at first I was a little skeptical
about Jed and Marcella  of them not only bumping into each other again after all
that time(Jed and sisterCallie both live in other states)  and them falling for each other
but as the book progresses I began to wonder how they couldn't be together.
Anthony's character I didn't care for all that much (but I think that was the author's point).  I really couldn't stand Callie's character at all  even though she had every right to be depressed.
Im not sure if that's what was intended here.  Callie had gotten married within the 7 year period and had two
kids and seemed to be ok given the circumstances.  Fortunately we spend more time with Marcella,Anthony
and Cecil and his wife,Betsy (which would make sense).  I thought the writer's style was cerebral, sensuous
and prolific.  My overally impression is that the author can easily take the mundane things and make them
complicated, in an interesting way. The ending wasn't what I expected but it was a very well told story.  I
gave it 5 out of 5 stars . I would like to thank Double Day publishing for giving me an opportunity to review this book

New Location

If you have made it here then I want to direct you to my newer improved blog over on wordpress ( New blog .) I just want to thank you guys f...