Monday, September 13, 2010

Great Parents/Lousy Lovers By Dr. Gary Smalley and Ted Cunnigham

Great Parents, Lousy Lovers: Discover How to Enjoy Life with Your Spouse While Raising Your Kids  This is a relationship book that promises to
a) Enjoy your spouse again

b)Bring peace and balance  to your life.

I really didn't see how any of this was going to happen in the first four chapters.   Allow me to clarify my point of view.  Each chapter begins with 'You might be a Great Parent ,Lousy Lover if.....' and at the end of each chapter it instruscts you to go to www.greatparentslousylovers.com to view the  video podcast,answer the
questions listed at the end and suggest a different type of date.  I realize technology has given us some great advances,but if I have to go to a website to get the full benefit of a book I am a little skeptical about the
effectiveness of said book.The other thing that frustrates me with this book is  only taking a verse out of the
Chapter of the Bible.  I feel it would be more benefical if they would include the verse before and after.
For example: In chapter 5  they go to the book of Eccl.Chapter 1:4"Generations come and generations go
but the earth remains forever" This was used to describe the way life can be a grind sometime,and how God
didn't give your spouse to be a part of the grind but to help you through it.(Well duh!)  I think you need
a degree in theology to know that,but I was hoping to learn something new or give me a new pespective which it didn't.  Here is a partial list of the chapters I thought were the most helpful:

Chapter 7: Building Margins
Chapter 12: Your  Marriage Journey
Chapter15: Laugh More
Chapter16: Touch  Often
Chapter 17:Great Lovers

My overall impression is that this book will probably wont do any more  or less than any other book on relationships.  I give it 3 out of 5 stars.  I would like to also thank Tyndale for allowing me the opportunity to
review this book and no I dont get paid to write these reviews.I am a Amazon Associate

New Location

If you have made it here then I want to direct you to my newer improved blog over on wordpress ( New blog .) I just want to thank you guys f...